Where oh where to begin with the topic of libraries? Not only do they offer a gazillion services, the librarians themselves are super lovely! (Well…the ones that I’ve met anyways. But I’m sure the other 80% of librarians are lovely too!)
I won’t be going through ALL the library services because that post will just go on forever! Today’s post will just go through the main services that I think we would use the most as students.
Here we go!
1. Quick Links
- Opening hours – you can find a list of Melbourne Uni branches and their operational hours.
- Printing and Scanning – learn how to print/scan/photocopy things. There is even a video that teaches you how to print from the uni computers. You can also find out how much everything costs here!
- Find a computer – Want to know where you can find a free computer to use? This is the tab for you!
- Borrowing information – How long you can borrow things, how to renew books, and how you can book a study room.
- Student IT support – Everything IT related is here. I also love their ‘Live chat’ where you can ask the IT gurus a question (located bottom right of their home page)
- Classes and Tours – They offer library tours to show you around the joint. They also offer Endnote classes which is super handy when your assignments start to pop up! (Endnot is a program that helps you with referencing – but it can get quite complicated!)
- Subject research guides – Simply amazing! Some people have compiled awesome lists of resources/subject guides to help with you with your studies (If only there was a guide to zoology subjects…HMM…!). Must check it out!
- Referencing and Endnote etc. – Referencing is super super important in uni! I’ve had marks deducted from incorrect referencing (sad face!). There’s plenty of tools and resources for you to help you with referencing here.
- Past Exams – FYI: not all exams are on here!
4/5. Discovery Search and Searching
- If you’re looking for journal articles, research papers, books etc. These are the places for you!
6. News and Events
- For all things awesome happening with the library!
What is Daph’s favourite thing about the library?
My number 1 love for the library has to be the ‘Ask a Librarian’ chat box. If you ever need to ask a question about anything library related, you can ask away here! They’re super fast at replying back and are really helpful with your library queries.
My favourite library to study in?
My number 1 favourite library is the Gibson Eunson Library which is super nice, new, and clean. It’s pretty quiet there, and there’s even a little outdoor area for you to chill out.
The main reason why I love Gibson Eunson is because of the individual study booths! (That is, if I’m lucky to find a booth that is available). The chairs are really comfy, and the table is perfect size for studying. And most importantly, there are POWERPOINTS available on the table that lets me charge my forever dying laptop!
Another reason why I love it, is because it’s a little bit off campus – and generally people are lazy to walk there! WIN
Want to get in touch with the library?
Phone: 13 MELB (13 6352)
More contacts: www.library.unimelb.edu.au/contact_the_library
TIP: if I were you, I would ask my library-related questions over their Facebook page, and through the ‘Ask a Librarian’ chat. From experience – these are the fastest ways to get a response :)