Public transport concession card

IMG_6194Folks with public transport concession cards – don’t forget to get that they will expire on 28 Feb 2014.

Chances are, ticket inspectors will be everywhere on the 29 Feb, ready to check for concession cards.

So here is an overview of what you need to know about getting your concession card for public transport.

Am I eligible for a public transport concession card?

On Ask.Unimelb, it says:

Students enrolled in graduate courses and international students (excluding international students enrolled in approved exchange programs) are not eligible for the concession.”

And on the PTV website, it says:

You must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia (Special Category Visa holders excluded). Students with refugee status, students studying as part of an approved overseas exchange program, or students with an Australian Awards Scholarship are also eligible.

Unfortunately, you can’t get a VPT Student Concession Card if you’re:

    • enrolled in a masters, doctorate, or other postgraduate course
    • an overseas full-fee paying student (primary, secondary or tertiary)
    • enrolled in a tertiary course which is less than 10 weeks duration
    • enrolled in an apprenticeship course
    • enrolled in an off-campus course
    • not studying full time.

How can I get my PTV concession application form?

If you are eligible for a concession card, you download your application form off the portal.

You need to have a current Melbourne Uni student card to download this concession form because they use your student ID photo as your concession form photo. If you’re not happy with your student ID photo…bad luck. I’ve tried to cheat the system by using my own photo for the concession forms, and failed miserably.

I manually filled out a PTV concession application form, supplied my own photo, and asked someone from the University to sign my form off. And well…they wouldn’t sign it.

Here is a tutorial on how I got my concession form off the portal: 

1. On the homepage of the portal, click on “Get my Victorian Public Transport concession form”

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 10.55.17 pm2. Continue by clicking on ‘Get my…’

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 10.57.59 pm

3. Check your details, then click “Email VPT Concession Form”

 If you are a full-time student, make sure you have enrolled into subjects for second semester or your concession card will only be valid for half the year.

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 11.03.23 pm

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 11.09.22 pm

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 11.10.42 pm

4. Check your email

Once you get the email, you can print it off, sign the relevant bits, then bring it to one of the premium stations like Flinders St or Melbourne Central where they can process the forms and hand you a card. Don’t forget that there is a $9 fee for the card.

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 11.36.31 pm

I’m sure you are all aware of this, but your student card doesn’t qualify as a concession card for public transport. You need to have that little piece of laminated paper with you, if you’re using a concession Myki.

Ticket inspectors are unforgiving if you don’t have your concession card with your concession Myki.

Be sure to check this Ask.Unimelb FAQ out for more info about concession forms:


3 thoughts on “Public transport concession card

  1. Daph, there won’t be a 29th of Feb this year! So it’ll be fine if they’re ticketing on a day that doesn’t exist, right? Haha

Leave a reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s