How do I get my PTV concession card?

PSA: PTV concession cards expires this Saturday (28 Feb)!

This means that if you’re travelling on a concession myki and do not have a valid concession card on hand after that date – ticket inspectors can fine you.

The process of getting your concession card may be different to what you’re used to back in high school. In high school you may have printed out the forms, handwritten in all your details, stuck your best photos on the forms, get them stamped by the school etc.

At uni – this form is pre-filled out for you, and all you have to do it to download it off the portal, print it and bring it to the station.

It’s important to note that you must have a current unimelb student card, and be enrolled full time to get your concession card. The photo from your student card will the photo used for your concession card (ugh).

For the full list of eligibility criteria, check out the PTV website.

Getting your concession card form is really easy. Here’s how:

1. Log into the portal and click on ‘Student Admin’

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 11.20.43 pm

As you can see here, sometimes the link to the concession card form is on the front page, but other times it’s not. So I’m going to show your the ‘normal’ way to access your concession card form.

2. Scroll down and click on ‘Go to transport concessions’

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 11.22.07 pm

3. Click on ‘Get my transport concession’

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 11.31.31 pm

4. Then click on ‘Email my PTV Concession Form’

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 11.33.26 pm

Check your student emails, and your concession card form should be in your inbox. Here on, you print that form out and take it to a station that is staffed to get it processed. Also – it’s $9 to get your concession card.

A list of ‘premium’ train stations where you can get your concession card processed can be found here.

Are you only eligible for a half year concession card?

If it says on the portal says that you’re only eligible for a half year concession card (like below) but you think you should be eligible for the whole year – it’s probably because you haven’t enrolled in your semester 2 classes.

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 11.52.27 pm

You need to have enrolled in at least two semester 2 subjects to be eligible for the full year. So go to your study plan and add 2 subjects in. Don’t worry – you can always change your semester 2 subjects before the census date.

And there is a way to cheat the system if you’re really not eligible for the full year concession.

So, let’s say you’ve got one semester left at unimelb and you’re doing four subjects. What you can do is to temporarily withdraw from two of your semester 1 subjects, and change them to semester 2 subjects. So then you’ve got two subjects in semester 1, and two in semester 2.

This leaves you with a full-time load for the whole year = full year concession = money saved.

Then once you’ve got your full year concession form, change it all back to normal.

The only risk I can think of this situation is that it may screw up your timetable. You may not be able to get the class slots you fought for when class registration opened.

Once you’ve got your concession card, don’t forget to carry it around with you everywhere you go. Sticky tape the concession card to your myki if you have to. Your student card is not a form of concession card for public transport.

Please make sure you remind your friends that they need to get new concession cards by the end of Feb!

– Daphane

6 thoughts on “How do I get my PTV concession card?

  1. Thanks for the walk-through on this! Do you know if only undergrad students are eligible for this? I’m an international student enrolled in a masters course, and it looks like I can’t get the PTC concession card :(

  2. I recently applied for an international student concession card but I’m still in doubt whether to push through or not. What happens if you’re a graduating student and you’ve got 1 sem left (which make me only eligible for half of the year)? What will happen to the money that I paid for the whole year after I graduate?? ): HEEEELP

Leave a reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s