When faced with countless midsems and assignments, sometimes we look a bit like this:
We all need a break from time to time, and in the middle of mid-sem and assignment season, in-between classes can be the perfect time to refresh and recharge so you can perform at your best in your subjects. Have a productive break from study with these ideas:
Firstly, do you have a break in the middle of the day on Tuesday?
A lot of students do! This means that there are a lot of events on at this time, including:
- Wellbeing: There are a variety of workshops offered to help with procrastination, anxiety, and more. Just follow this link and scroll to the ‘Wellbeing’ section.
- And, as you will see on that page, there are plenty of other events on offer in several categories, including: ‘achieve your academic goals’, ‘careers and employability skills’, ‘English for Academic Purposes Workshops’ and ‘Study overseas’.
- Many clubs have their events on Tuesdays. A good plan for finding out when and where events take place is by checking the notices on the portal and around campus, as well as searching for the club’s Facebook page. On the Facebook pages, there often be events you can RSVP to – so there will be a reminder in your phone.
- Tuesday at 1pm is also when a new band arrives in North Court each week, organised by the student union! If you want to be one of the first people in line for the free BBQ food, arrive at around 12pm.
After sitting in class for a few hours, most of us are ready to get moving when we have some free time. MU Sport allows you to hire courts and various equipment, so why not get some friends together and enjoy a game? There is also the gym and pool, and group fitness classes.
There are even some free classes – see them (shaded orange) on the timetable.
Explore your surroundings
The Parkville campus is so close to the vibrant Lygon Street! Some must-visit places on Lygon include:
- Universal (meals at low prices – perfect for students!) (Number 139-141)
- Pidapipo for ice cream (make sure you go in the twenty minutes of Melbourne sunshine before the next season of the day arrives. The ice cream is so good that it doesn’t even matter if it’s cold outside, though) (Number 299)
- Readings – reading a book for leisure can seem like an unbelievable idea when you have so many course readings – but even if you don’t have time to read now, you can stock up on some great reads for summer! (Number 309)
We have the Ian Potter Museum of Art right on campus, with free admission!
There are also plenty of other galleries near uni – check out the Top 5 recommended by Art History student Jen here .
Because we all need to update our Insta with a brunch pic now and then, right?
There are so many cafes with delicious food and drinks near campus, including the popular Seven Seeds, Humble Rays and The Vertue of The Coffee Drink!
You could even get a matcha latte – I’ve seen it advertised in a few cafes that they boost concentration (like I ever need an excuse to buy a matcha latte).
Well there you have it, a few ways to productively spend your well-deserved break!
What is your favourite way to spend a break? Let us know in the comments below!